> IIDX on HDTV, revisited, ... now accepting any and all pointers
chotto kiitena
post Apr 6 2011, 09:53 AM
Post #221

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Pretty sure it'd be the latter since it's not like the image coming out of the PS2 is actually refreshing faster. It's just analysing each frame and creating new frames to interpolate between them, which takes time, which means lag.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trip Machina
post Apr 6 2011, 12:51 PM
Post #222

The Shadow

Yeah, and depending on your tv, if you're experiencing frame drops, it's due to your tv trying to process all the visuals...hence, some of the older generic vids could cause massive frame drops due to such high image processing. SD CRTs handles it fully, HD/ED CRTs handle it great, Plasmas handle it fine, and LED/LCDs have trouble (unless you buy a $3000+ set, and then you'd prolly still have issues).

--------------------
All you DDRist's, try Trip Machine with the bass turned up!!

+Quote Post
Oogami
post Jun 24 2011, 08:18 AM
Post #223

Candy Galy

So very soon I will be parting ways with my 30" CRT Panasonic Tau HDTV as I am simply fed up with lugging that heavy behemoth around with me and am really missing progressive scan capability (as very few PS3 games seem to display in 1080i, I have to play a lot of stuff in SD mode). While I am pretty much over my IIDX addiction, I might still like to play it from time to time, so when I move to Illinois next month I would like to purchase a TV that won't render most of those games unplayable (I have played IIDX on some LCDs [namely Samsung and Vizio] where none of the Timing Adjust settings on IIDX12-15 felt right due to their lack of minute adjustability that IIDX16 was provided with). I mean, I guess I could always pick up a small, cheap CRT for IIDX, but there's no way I'm getting a widescreen CRT ever again and I would miss playing in 16:9 mode at least every once in a while.

My question is thus: are Panasonic Viera plasmas still recommended? I'd rather not go with the Sharp Aquos as I've never liked its picture quality, and Panasonics are robust machines that can literally withstand a direct lightning strike (at least my Tau did with only its fuse needing replacement). If not, what model TV would you guys recommend nowadays?

--------------------

More people should contribute scores to RetroFuture :>

+Quote Post
rmz
post Jun 24 2011, 10:21 AM
Post #224

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

I haven't done much HDTV research in a few years, but don't most plasmas have bad lag?

I'm happy with my Aquos because it's incredibly low-lag but you specifically said you didn't want one of those so ~I dunno~

+Quote Post
Chemistry
post Jul 7 2011, 02:34 AM
Post #225

Evergreen

I have recently bought a 42 inch Panasonic Plasma just for IIDX, no visible lag. Model: TH-P42U30S
Don't trust me though, my scores shows that my timing is not great at IIDX, and equally bad at the arcade.

+Quote Post
SEXYSEXYCHEVY
post Nov 29 2011, 11:37 PM
Post #226

funny yet handsome

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

HEY WORMS bumpin this thread CUZ I'm thinkin of gettin' a new tv for my bedroom and have done some research but i'm lazy and not very confident.

ANYONE GOT HOT TIPS ON CHEAPISH ~32" HDTV THAT'S LEAST LAG ~2011~

BUT YEAH lookin' at VIERAS of course but are the LCDs as good as the plasmas probably not??? WHO KNOWS???

--------------------

TOO MANY SPINDISKS!!!!!!
( TANE IS LOVE [updated a bunch])
QUOTE (Junglist King @ Oct 8 2009, 01:44 PM) *
pabst blue ribobn

+Quote Post
Mazrim
post Nov 30 2011, 02:32 PM
Post #227

SPACE FIGHT

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Don't bother with a Sony...at least, the one I got (and paid extra for a nicer model) is crap when it comes to lag. Changed as many settings as I could and people still complain about lag issues playing Marvel. Rhythm games are out of the question.

+Quote Post
DROP
post Nov 30 2011, 04:56 PM
Post #228

HEY RADIES ;)

DJ Battle This User

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threa...atabase.145141/

--------------------
QUOTE (Newcastle Legions @ Oct 27 2010, 06:40 AM) *
a good father doesn't play japanese games

All you DDRist's, try Trip Machine with the bass turned up!!

+Quote Post
Marlie Tang
post Nov 30 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #229

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!
!!!!!
!!!!!
!!!!!
!!!!!
!!!!!
!!!!!
!!!!!
!!!!!

QUOTE (SEXYSEXYCHEVY @ Nov 29 2011, 10:37 PM) *
HEY WORMS

see ya later worms

--------------------
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arrived safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skidded in broadside in a
cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worned out, and loudly proclaimed
‘Rofñ! What a Ride!’” - Pidgey S. Thompson

+Quote Post
SEXYSEXYCHEVY
post Dec 2 2011, 11:52 PM
Post #230

funny yet handsome

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE (DROP @ Nov 30 2011, 01:56 PM) *

ohhhh thanks for THAT!
GUESS I'M GETTIN' THE VIERA

--------------------

TOO MANY SPINDISKS!!!!!!
pabst blue ribobn

+Quote Post
SEXYSEXYCHEVY
post Dec 13 2011, 12:43 AM
Post #231

funny yet handsome

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

JUST GOT my VIERA TC-L32X30 today and it is PRETTY GR8!

booted up some troopz and even with no timing adjustment it was GOOD. A WEBSITE said that the lag for this tv was like 5 or 6 ms??? any lag felt more like the difference between different styles SO YEAH good stuff.

--------------------

TOO MANY SPINDISKS!!!!!!
pabst blue ribobn

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Dec 13 2011, 01:06 AM
Post #232

I♥prat fall

ooh impressive

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti

+Quote Post
The legend of ZA...
post Nov 21 2012, 01:00 AM
Post #233

Sorry to bump the thread, but since Black Friday is upon us this week (that and I'm in the market for a new set), I'm wondering if folks have run into any recent HDTV's that play nicely with IIDX (my 12 year old CRT is on the bubble), or if there are any that folks will be trying to eye this holiday season? Judging by the list of TV's from the Shoryuken post, a good chunk of them are discontinued, so your mileage may vary on that front.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DanAdamKOF
post Jun 19 2017, 09:07 PM
Post #234

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

Hi everyone, look into the OSSC, it's a realtime scan converter hard and extreme. I mean, it's a Component/RGB -> HDMI device designed for gaming with literally no lag (uses a line buffer so it's only a few scanlines behind realtime, something like 1/200th of a frame's worth of time behind realtime).

If your HDTV feels generally non-laggy for other games then it should feel just as non-laggy with OSSC.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Thunderbird
post Jun 22 2017, 08:56 AM
Post #235

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

I've been using an Elgato Game Capture HD (the only model with an input in addition to HDMI), which works pretty well for me. It's the same deal as the OSSC, Component->HDMI (though it doesn't support RGB, the PS2's Component setting must be set to YPbPr for it to work). Unfortunately, I can't play anything older than 9th this way, as my TV complains that it doesn't support the resolution.

+Quote Post
djhepcat
post Jun 22 2017, 11:43 AM
Post #236

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE (DanAdamKOF @ Jun 19 2017, 10:07 PM) *
Hi everyone, look into the OSSC, it's a realtime scan converter hard and extreme. I mean, it's a Component/RGB -> HDMI device designed for gaming with literally no lag (uses a line buffer so it's only a few scanlines behind realtime, something like 1/200th of a frame's worth of time behind realtime).

If your HDTV feels generally non-laggy for other games then it should feel just as non-laggy with OSSC.

I decided to get one of these and while it's a bit tricky to set up (be sure to read the instructions carefully!) it works great. On my 60" HDTV I was able to get AAA's on easy DP songs on two styles: Empress and 3rd Style (lol).

+Quote Post
DanAdamKOF
post Jun 22 2017, 02:36 PM
Post #237

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (Thunderbird @ Jun 22 2017, 06:56 AM) *
I've been using an Elgato Game Capture HD (the only model with an input in addition to HDMI), which works pretty well for me. It's the same deal as the OSSC, Component->HDMI (though it doesn't support RGB, the PS2's Component setting must be set to YPbPr for it to work). Unfortunately, I can't play anything older than 9th this way, as my TV complains that it doesn't support the resolution.

Just spitting out HDMI doesn't make it the same, the realtime nature of OSSC is what sets it apart. That and it can definitely ingest non-interlaced 15khz so 8th and under would work (as would 5keys on PSX, etc).

--------------------

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 10 11 12
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 09:39 AM