Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Desktop Arcade IIDX controller, semi-crosspost from DA's forums
Oogami
post Jul 26 2007, 11:26 AM
Post #1

Candy Galy

So I recently purchased a third-hand DA controller from a fellow VJA Floridian, and while it's got a lot of potential to be a great controller, I'd be lying if I said there weren't problems with it. Simply looking for advice on how to tackle these and get it in good working order:

Here are the current problems it has. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated:

Keys/Switches:
I'm pretty sure the cherry switches inside are the originals, as there are a LOT of problems with double-hitting (a telltale sign that switches are failing). However, the more serious problem lies in the fact that a couple of the keys can get all but unresponsive after a few songs. Opening up the controller and jiggling the switch and wires tends to solve it, but only temporarily. It could still be a symptom of a dying switch I suppose; the seller seemed to think, however, that faulty connections are to blame, which is something I cannot fix.

BTW, anyone know how to procure replacement cherry switches?

Turntable:
While it's still more or less okay right now (as the seller applied a fresh coat of WD-40 upon purchase), it supposedly needs constant lubrication to prevent it from stiffening up. And it does get really, really stiff, as I played around with it prior to lubrication as well. However, disassembly of the turntable mechanism seems tedious at best, with constant trial-and-error necessary to prevent the internal mechanism from spinning too long. Stripped threading doesn't help, either. Anyone know any ideas for a modification of sorts that would prevent me from having to take it apart every week? I seem to remember a slip-mat mod for KOCs mentioned a few years back, but I am not aware of its procedure.

Thanks in advance for any help :>

--------------------

More people should contribute scores to RetroFuture :>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Schlagwerk
post Jul 26 2007, 12:19 PM
Post #2

INCLUSIVE EXUBERANCE

DJ Battle This User

A big problem with the IIDX DASC turntable is that within the last year, Steve redid his TT design. Having gotten to play on his old style and his new style TT, the new ones spin much smoother without double firing. Dunno how that'd help you at all, though..

Anyone who played on the grey/orange IIDX ASC controllers at Otakon 2007 was playing on the new style DA TT design.

--------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. All right, give me the bomb."

+Quote Post
One Niceass Indi...
post Jul 26 2007, 02:30 PM
Post #3

they keep referring to me as that

Ouch, you bought a Desktop Arcade? My condolenses..I don't know what to say other than good luck with the turntable once it inevitably dies.

DJ Daos're nice though.

--------------------
It never ends.

You call it a miracle.

Others opt to refer to it by its ORIGINAL NAME

+Quote Post
rmz
post Jul 26 2007, 02:47 PM
Post #4

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

Yet another reason why I stick with official IIDX controllers. Pop'n is fine, but with IIDX there's so much shit than can go wrong with the turntable that I want to stick with something that I know works, haha.

+Quote Post
itsgreylolol
post Jul 26 2007, 03:13 PM
Post #5

I am the end of the world

DJ Battle This User

I have a 2nd hand DASC, and haven't had a problem with the TT yet. It's a bit loose for my liking, but that's it.

--------------------
All numbers not including EMP+PB
[L7] Left to AAA: 3 (Step Into the New World, Fun, Gambol)
[7k] left to A: 1 (Pluto)
11*s left to clear: 9 (waxing and wanding, tripping contact (remix), The Dirty of Loudness, four pieces of heaven, Blocks, Bleeding Luv, Be OK [b])
12*s Cleared: 5
Ds left in IIDX: 4 (Mendes[b], Icarus[b], four pieces of heaven[b], Mei[a])

+Quote Post
Flowers for Albi...
post Jul 26 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #6

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(Oni+ @ every single day)
WAAAAAH DASC

--------------------
Hiroshi Watanabe

+Quote Post
One Niceass Indi...
post Jul 26 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #7

As long as Steve makes low-grade controllers in his garage and has some bad cosplayer make "graphics" for them in MS Paint and gets backlogged on his products, I will make sure to inform my fellow consumers that this is a shady business that they should not be getting into. Don't like it, then put me on Ignore; this isn't Bemanistyle where you can get infractions for having a dissenting opinion. I fail to see what you gain by defending DumpsterKeeper anyway (Anyone else find it ironic that he named himself after an industrial-sized garbage can?)

Man DJDAO's look nice though I can't wait to buy one

--------------------
It never ends.

You call it a miracle.

+Quote Post
Mazrim
post Jul 26 2007, 03:56 PM
Post #8

SPACE FIGHT

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

My friend is still waiting for a Pop'n controller...from 2-3 years ago. Not reccomended.

+Quote Post
Schlagwerk
post Jul 26 2007, 03:59 PM
Post #9

INCLUSIVE EXUBERANCE

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(Oni+ @ Jul 26 2007, 04:47 PM) *
Don't like it, then put me on Ignore;

Whoa.. wait.. we can actually put people on ignore in these forums? Man did I just get a few ideas....

But Oogami has his controller and like an illegitimate child, he's stuck with it. So let's try to help him with that.
This time I'll address the buttons: Sounds like you could use new cherries in each of them (just to be safe), but if you don't mind taking the extra time and it being a pain to replace buttons in the future, I'd remove the connectors and solder them directly to the new switches. If it's not the TT going bad on a DASC, it's the wires falling off the switches.

--------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. All right, give me the bomb."

+Quote Post
Flowers for Albi...
post Jul 26 2007, 04:31 PM
Post #10

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(Oni+ @ Jul 26 2007, 01:47 PM) *
As long as Steve makes low-grade controllers in his garage and has some bad cosplayer make "graphics" for them in MS Paint and gets backlogged on his products, I will make sure to inform my fellow consumers that this is a shady business that they should not be getting into. Don't like it, then put me on Ignore; this isn't Bemanistyle where you can get infractions for having a dissenting opinion. I fail to see what you gain by defending DumpsterKeeper anyway (Anyone else find it ironic that he named himself after an industrial-sized garbage can?)

I just think it's strange that you talk about DASC and how bad it is in a paragraph, and then jump onto the DJDao wagon with one sentence. It seems like a pattern. Who told you that the designs were made in MSPaint? I've heard that at least 2 times now.

Did Dao ever fix the TT lag or is it still there? I did hear of fast shipping times. Still looking.

--------------------
Hiroshi Watanabe

+Quote Post
One Niceass Indi...
post Jul 26 2007, 04:57 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(carsonsb @ Jul 26 2007, 02:31 PM) *
I just think it's strange that you talk about DASC and how bad it is in a paragraph, and then jump onto the DJDao wagon with one sentence. It seems like a pattern. Who told you that the designs were made in MSPaint? I've heard that at least 2 times now.

My friends have dealt with Dump.Keeper in the past. He owes one of them only a few hundred dollars which she has been waiting for for months, maybe even years. The other one got his controller DOA. DASC views DJ DAO as a competitor, and DAO makes their controllers not in a garage, but they are produced in a factory by Chinese working for 2 bucks an hour. I guess that's shady in itself, but hey, the customers will be pleased! Just don't drop a DAO from higher than 3 feet, or you'll be sorry.

As for the MS Paint thing, it's because DA brags about their graphics on their controllers when they're not even that amazing.

--------------------
It never ends.

You call it a miracle.

+Quote Post
over there
post Jul 26 2007, 05:31 PM
Post #12

World's Biggest Xythar Fan No Longer

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE(Oni+ @ Jul 26 2007, 05:57 PM) *
My friends have dealt with Dump.Keeper in the past. He owes one of them only a few hundred dollars which she has been waiting for for months, maybe even years. The other one got his controller DOA. DASC views DJ DAO as a competitor, and DAO makes their controllers not in a garage, but they are produced in a factory by Chinese working for 2 bucks an hour. I guess that's shady in itself, but hey, the customers will be pleased! Just don't drop a DAO from higher than 3 feet, or you'll be sorry.

As for the MS Paint thing, it's because DA brags about their graphics on their controllers when they're not even that amazing.

SPICS working for 20 cents an hour in Controllica's attic are obviously much better than your CHINKS who are OVERPAYED.

+Quote Post
Axem Rangers
post Jul 26 2007, 06:19 PM
Post #13

Banned Routine

QUOTE(Oni+ @ Jul 26 2007, 04:47 PM) *

Hi Arimasen, I thought you had left the Bemani community?

But yeah, replace the switches. You may be able to procure a new set from Steve if you e-mail him saying "I own one of your controllers, sell me some switches." I've heard of people doing that in the past, and I'll have to do so soon for my Pop'n ASC.

--------------------
I respond so fast I might break the prison glass.
So you're saying you should be able to act like this to a forum administrator, or a teacher, or a police officer, or your own parents and get away with it. You're supposed to respect these folks.

If you or a friend has the Sailor Moon S (uncut) boxset, or any of the Sailor Moon movies (uncut), and would like to sell or trade them, please contact me!
QUOTE (_ηρα @ Jul 13 2008, 05:15 AM) *
The way I see it, me and Axem are lucky in that we have around 4 years to avoid becoming an utter fuckup like you. It's a nice feeling, being young.

+Quote Post
Oogami
post Jul 26 2007, 11:55 PM
Post #14

Candy Galy

Well, I got mine for 100 bux, so if the TT dies within a year or so then I'll consider myself lucky for not having paid full price. TT shennanigans aside, I'll look for some new switches ASAP. Speaking of which, I DO still have a whole box full of replacement switches for my KASC, but can the connectors plug into them like they do with the cherries, or will I have to solder, or will they even be compatable at all?

--------------------

+Quote Post
therealbong
post Jul 27 2007, 04:30 AM
Post #15

Tranoid

QUOTE(MazriM TaiM @ Jul 26 2007, 03:56 PM) *
My friend is still waiting for a Pop'n controller...from 2-3 years ago. Not reccomended.

Its been 4 years now actually I think. Poor poor Pickles.

--------------------
The names Bong, James Bong.

<me and friends after watching the new Batman movie>
"Either you die a slut, or you live long enough to find yourself a single mother."

+Quote Post
Schlagwerk
post Jul 27 2007, 08:51 AM
Post #16

INCLUSIVE EXUBERANCE

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(Oogami @ Jul 27 2007, 12:55 AM) *
Well, I got mine for 100 bux, so if the TT dies within a year or so then I'll consider myself lucky for not having paid full price. TT shennanigans aside, I'll look for some new switches ASAP. Speaking of which, I DO still have a whole box full of replacement switches for my KASC, but can the connectors plug into them like they do with the cherries, or will I have to solder, or will they even be compatable at all?

I wish I knew what KASC switches look like. Any standard micro switch for an arcade pushbutton will have 3 prongs on it, 1 for if the switch is open, 1 for if the switch is closed, and 1 for ground. On a IIDX controller you want closed and ground. (you can tell if you've accidentally wired it to open because it will be like the button is constantly being held down)
Unless the KASC uses a completely different style of switch entirely...

--------------------

+Quote Post
therealbong
post Jul 27 2007, 09:29 AM
Post #17

Tranoid

wow, I'm a complete moron and forgot to ask this in my last post.

Right now I'm borrowing my friend's DA IIDX control...but the turntable is UNGODLY tight. sometimes it won't turn unless I use my entire hand and concentrate real hard on turning the bloody thing. I know its supposed to be tougher to turn in the arcade, but not this much (its like its sticking to something it feels like). I opened it up, but couldn't figure out how to loosen the TT. Can anyone post help on this? Sorry and thanks in advance.

--------------------
The names Bong, James Bong.

<me and friends after watching the new Batman movie>
"Either you die a slut, or you live long enough to find yourself a single mother."

+Quote Post
Oogami
post Jul 27 2007, 09:55 AM
Post #18

Candy Galy

Mine is the same way. WD-40 lubes it up pretty well, but alas it apparently has to be done like once a week or so (at least, if you play on it a lot). If anyone has any ideas for a mod that'll work and not interfere with the optical sensor, though, I'm all ears.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Schlagwerk
post Jul 27 2007, 12:42 PM
Post #19

INCLUSIVE EXUBERANCE

DJ Battle This User

Try asking Steve from DA. Once again, he changed his turntable design (the new ones spin smoother than my modded KOC TTs) and he might tell you how to convert the old style to the new or how to loosen it up a lot.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oogami
post Jul 27 2007, 01:32 PM
Post #20

Candy Galy

Well, hopefully he'll reply to my topic on the DA forums, but if not, I'll try e-mailing him and asking him for any advice with the TT.

Two things I discovered this morning:

-the problem with my switches not responding did indeed have to do with the wires falling away slightly from the switches. I simply unplugged them and plugged them back in and they worked fine the entire time I was playing this morning (all fifteen minutes, lolz). Audity mentioned something in my LJ about an easy solution to prevent that from happening again, but he didn't go into detail as to what that was. Anyone know?

-I took out the box I have of replacement KASC switches and, lo and behold, they're Omrons! However, when I tried to swap them out, I just could not get the cherries to seperate from the Sanwas. I tried pulling, prying, anything I could think of without forcing it too much but the damn switches would not budge. I know it can't be that hard because I saw Bumm switch around some switches when he sold it to me, and it didn't look like he did anything out of the ordinary, but I'm still obviously not doing something right. Grrr...I'm so inept when it comes to hardware. :/

Oh yes, and a big thank you to everyone who's participating in this thread, helping me out. :>

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2019 - 09:54 PM