DJ Battle This User

I have a party/game going so get onnnnn
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Schala
post May 1 2010, 06:40 PM
Post #22

excessively entitled

Next time you guys should set up multiple streams or something (I know Jadin has enough bandwidth to stream the matches he spectates at least, then have a backup stream for when he plays a match)

--------------------

+Quote Post
spineshark
post May 1 2010, 06:50 PM
Post #23

I like back.

DJ Battle This User

I got mine today, so after I spend a bit working out some moves I'll probably get on (360 - pentell )

+Quote Post
BBH
post May 1 2010, 08:15 PM
Post #24

Beginning of Life (THE GROUND PULSE MIX)

DJ Battle This User

I apologize for what happened at the end, guys. Someone on my friends list saw I was in a party and joined and wanted in the room, and then he started inviting all these people on his friends list... yeah I'm not too crazy about waiting through 8-person rooms either. Sorry I'm kinda popular online sad.gif

--------------------
BBH's Waste of Bandwidth - shitty reviews of obscure arcade games

+Quote Post
grayfox9996
post May 1 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #25

Ready for mission.

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (BBH @ May 1 2010, 06:15 PM) *
I apologize for what happened at the end, guys. Someone on my friends list saw I was in a party and joined and wanted in the room, and then he started inviting all these people on his friends list... yeah I'm not too crazy about waiting through 8-person rooms either. Sorry I'm kinda popular online sad.gif

It's okay, it happens. tongue.gif I'd already been playing for 3+ hours when everybody started showing up, and I had some things to take care of, anyway, so that was just a good time to leave.

Great matches with everybody! BBH, you really live up to your reputation haha. Your Sakura was fucking scary (probably because in spite of my matches with kay0ss I STILL have no clue how to fight her with anyone).

--------------------
QUOTE (IIDX Clock @ Jan 31 2009, 08:21 AM) *
actually, Japan has REALLY high technology.

heck they even have predecessors to HD already

+Quote Post
rmz
post May 1 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #26

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (grayfox9996 @ May 1 2010, 07:28 PM) *
Great matches with everybody! BBH, you really live up to your reputation haha. Your Sakura was fucking scary (probably because in spite of my matches with kay0ss I STILL have no clue how to fight her with anyone).

As far as I've ever been able to figure, you have to out-footsies her, and if she gets in a hit, learn what her potential mixups are during her combo resets, try to guess correctly, and pray.

I've played waaaaay too many scary Sakuras and I'm just terrified whenever I see anybody pick her (two of the best players in AZ both main(ed) her...at our last local tournament's grand finals, it was a Sakura mirror match between SaBrE and Said3s). You miss two resets and it's round over.

+Quote Post
Jadin
post May 1 2010, 10:44 PM
Post #27

Iā™„prat fall

yeah no problem BBH, I had fun playing sss people then it was fun to play your friends. plus he seemed really nice and apologized when he found out it was an SSS room even though he didn't have to
then it was fun to make chicken fried rice

fake edit: actually sorry schala I barely have enough bandwidth to stay on ssf4 as it is. I dropped while spectating. plus whenever I ustream it takes up 100% of bandwidth too

fake edit 2: dhalsim can't knee bison's normal headstomp any more at all >:O sad times for a move that still beats honda's EX buttstomp clean

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti

+Quote Post
Eggman of the St...
post May 2 2010, 01:46 AM
Post #28

Lost Odyssey Defense Squad

DJ Battle This User

I would have liked to show up for it but I was at a friend's house for some offline play for 9 hours. Feels like ICS's are easier with Cammy now.

Probably join in next time.

+Quote Post
kay0ss
post May 2 2010, 04:54 AM
Post #29

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

Sooooo..........who wants to play tomorrow? (Sunday) :<

--------------------

+Quote Post
BBH
post May 2 2010, 07:38 AM
Post #30

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (Jadin @ May 1 2010, 08:44 PM) *
yeah no problem BBH, I had fun playing sss people then it was fun to play your friends. plus he seemed really nice and apologized when he found out it was an SSS room even though he didn't have to

Ya Geoff is cool. I didn't know any of the people he was inviting to the room though haha

fake edit 2: dhalsim can't knee bison's normal headstomp any more at all >:O sad times for a move that still beats honda's EX buttstomp clean

that's... odd, considering how headstomp tracking seems slightly worse to me.

Troll Guile 4 lyfe

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryujin
post May 2 2010, 11:23 AM
Post #31

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

Friggin' shades.

Great matches. Jadin's got a really solid Dhalsim and he never gets picked around here, so it was fun to learn more about that matchup. Likewise with BBH's Sakura and Guy and grayfox's T.Hawk.

--------------------

+Quote Post
BBH
post May 2 2010, 11:04 PM
Post #32

DJ Battle This User

how has my Sakura become more scary than my Bison :psyduck:

--------------------

+Quote Post
grayfox9996
post May 2 2010, 11:12 PM
Post #33

Ready for mission.

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (BBH @ May 2 2010, 09:04 PM) *
how has my Sakura become more scary than my Bison :psyduck:

I play Bison (and I picked up a lot of what I know from you, if you remember) - I at least know what to expect and can figure out how to deal with him in some situations. smile.gif But your Bison is pretty obviously amazing - I just wasn't EXPECTING your Sakura haha.

--------------------

+Quote Post
spineshark
post May 3 2010, 04:38 AM
Post #34

I like back.

DJ Battle This User

Makoto's trials are soooo frustrating. And I'm sure it will be worth my time to learn combos that start with this horrible move that only hits directly over her head dry.gif

+Quote Post
rmz
post May 3 2010, 10:24 AM
Post #35

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

Yeah I've been wanting to work on Makoto but her trials are really not fun because combos involving Fukiage are almost invariably a pain in the ass

Luckily you can skip trials.

+Quote Post
sir nabsalot
post May 3 2010, 03:25 PM
Post #36

oh now I can do this

QUOTE (rmz @ May 3 2010, 09:24 AM) *
Luckily you can skip trials.

Yeah, that and the fact that you don't have to switch to "controller input" view every time are the two main improvements I noticed (oh yeah and being able to see specifically what the trial is about on the select screen is good too). Pity links are so crappy though. I mean, the mechanic itself is fine, but 1) it's really hard, 2) there's not really that huge a payoff in many cases, and 3) the risk of whiffing is really high. Not a great balance from a design perspective IMO. From an OCD perspective I guess it's objectively rewarding, and the more time you invest in getting those stupid little details down, the more interesting the game gets. But still, in contrast to the investment I put into say Tekken or BlahzBlue, you get way cooler, more interesting combos from those games :/

Ryu's trial where you link a standing MP -> FADC -> MP -> FADC -> MP etc is hardest one I haven't been able to do yet

--------------------
beep boop beep

+Quote Post
rmz
post May 3 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #37

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (sir nabsalot @ May 3 2010, 01:25 PM) *
standing MP -> FADC -> MP -> FADC -> MP

what lmao

+Quote Post
grayfox9996
post May 3 2010, 04:04 PM
Post #38

Ready for mission.

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (sir nabsalot @ May 3 2010, 01:25 PM) *
Yeah, that and the fact that you don't have to switch to "controller input" view every time are the two main improvements I noticed (oh yeah and being able to see specifically what the trial is about on the select screen is good too). Pity links are so crappy though. I mean, the mechanic itself is fine, but 1) it's really hard, 2) there's not really that huge a payoff in many cases, and 3) the risk of whiffing is really high. Not a great balance from a design perspective IMO. From an OCD perspective I guess it's objectively rewarding, and the more time you invest in getting those stupid little details down, the more interesting the game gets. But still, in contrast to the investment I put into say Tekken or BlahzBlue, you get way cooler, more interesting combos from those games :/

When Ono talks about SFV (yes, five), he always says 1) it's probably a ways off and 2) he wants to lower the entry barrier for the game. I'm really wondering if simplifying links would be the best way to do that. It's by far the highest barrier in the entire game, along with FADCs (which may not even be in V - III had parrying, and that's certainly not in IV). Anything else isn't nearly as difficult to execute - I know a LOT of people that are big fighting game fans that were scared off of SFIV just because of FADCs and the tight link timing on most of the combos. It's not that difficult links in general are bad for the game - having some of those incredibly advanced links can be great to add depth and really let the people who've put in dedication to the game show off - it's just the number of combos in the game that require you to use these 1-3 frame links just to pull them off, and, like you said, nabs, there's very little reward for doing so. I always figured they needed to either make them more rewarding, or make them simpler to time, to match the reward that you get.

I love SFIV, but I can't pull off combos I know like the back of my hand a lot of the time - not like I could in 3S, where every combo I'd learn I could consistently pull off. It's still weird watching pros falter in the middle of combos they clearly know, too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sir nabsalot
post May 3 2010, 04:15 PM
Post #39

oh now I can do this

QUOTE (rmz @ May 3 2010, 02:28 PM) *
what lmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSm2MJZJ9_A (7:28)

Ah, I see this guy does it a bit differently than what I was trying. I was allowing the FA to connect, then cancelling, since it seemed ridiculous to have a link combo which takes your whole bar and only delivers scaled down MP damage plus a really scaled down shoryu at the end. I dunno, would have to look at the numbers in training mode to see the actual damage values, and then look up the frame data to get a sense for how useful a standing MP would be in certain situations :///////

--------------------
beep boop beep

+Quote Post
sir nabsalot
post May 3 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #40

oh now I can do this

QUOTE (grayfox9996 @ May 3 2010, 03:04 PM) *
When Ono talks about SFV (yes, five), he always says 1) it's probably a ways off and 2) he wants to lower the entry barrier for the game. I'm really wondering if simplifying links would be the best way to do that. It's by far the highest barrier in the entire game, along with FADCs (which may not even be in V - III had parrying, and that's certainly not in IV). Anything else isn't nearly as difficult to execute - I know a LOT of people that are big fighting game fans that were scared off of SFIV just because of FADCs and the tight link timing on most of the combos. It's not that difficult links in general are bad for the game - having some of those incredibly advanced links can be great to add depth and really let the people who've put in dedication to the game show off - it's just the number of combos in the game that require you to use these 1-3 frame links just to pull them off, and, like you said, nabs, there's very little reward for doing so. I always figured they needed to either make them more rewarding, or make them simpler to time, to match the reward that you get.

I love SFIV, but I can't pull off combos I know like the back of my hand a lot of the time - not like I could in 3S, where every combo I'd learn I could consistently pull off. It's still weird watching pros falter in the middle of combos they clearly know, too.

Oh that's interesting. Lowering the barrier of entry for Street Fighter would be a noble thing, but they've got their work cut out for them. Things like crossups, 2-in-1s and kara throws were, as I understand it, just bugs in the game that became canon once people got used to them; pretty counter intuitive shit for beginners. 2-in-1 combos are kind of like chains, but the cancelling rules are applied inconsistently: some moves 2-in-1 to a special, some don't. Same with juggling rules, it's pretty damn arbitrary. And this is the 4th major iteration of the game, after 20 years of making 2D fighters. There is little cause for hope :deets:

All I'd ask for is a reasonable input buffer so 1-frame links can be pulled off consistently after a couple days of practice, instead of hundreds of hours (my experience). Like you said, it'll match the reward that you actually get for the accomplishment.

--------------------
beep boop beep

+Quote Post

33 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2018 - 04:34 AM