9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Movie Thread
Brazoliange
post Jul 29 2008, 03:08 AM
Post #21

Candy Galy

QUOTE(Axem Rangers @ Jul 28 2008, 11:25 PM) *
hahahahaha yeah the character that gave the script its emotional and dynamic character arc was totally pointless

it would have been better if all the characters were static

hahahaha god dammit joe I love you so much

--------------------
http://vjarmy.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3967
Help bring IIDX GOLD to Dave & Busters locations around the US!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BG_Hojo72
post Jul 29 2008, 10:44 AM
Post #22

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

Dark Knight was really good. i don't have anything deeper to say about it.

Wall-E was phenomenal. and that's a completely serious statement. when i first saw Dark Knight, i said "This might be better" but now that i've had time to mull it over, i'm leaning towards Wall-E. i dunno. i saw it twice, but Dark Knight just once. i still need to IMAX that bitch.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Snakesonaplanepl...
post Jul 29 2008, 11:00 AM
Post #23

Rising in the Sun

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE(BG_Hojo72 @ Jul 29 2008, 10:44 AM) *
Dark Knight was really good. i don't have anything deeper to say about it.

Wall-E was phenomenal. and that's a completely serious statement. when i first saw Dark Knight, i said "This might be better" but now that i've had time to mull it over, i'm leaning towards Wall-E. i dunno. i saw it twice, but Dark Knight just once. i still need to IMAX that bitch.

I'm with you there man. I was really surprised at how good Wall-E was. I figured it would be just another generic kid CG animation vehicle, but the whole was much greater than the sum of its parts. I so wanna see it again, as does my sister.

As for Dark Knight, that was the best movie I've seen this year. Even better than Batman Begins, and that's saying something. It was worth the $6 I spent on it and then some. I should try to see it again on IMAX. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by SnakesonaplaneplayingIIDX: Jul 29 2008, 12:02 PM

--------------------

SuperWailingBonus
QUOTE (rmz @ Mar 28 2008, 07:03 AM) *
NOW PRESENTING

BEATMANIA IIDX FOURTENN GOLDS FOR THE FAMICOM HOME ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

QUOTE (Kaze @ Dec 29 2008, 12:16 AM) *
But they've already relinquished its title of planet!

+Quote Post
over there
post Jul 29 2008, 12:38 PM
Post #24

World's Biggest Xythar Fan No Longer

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

There's a love story in almost every hollywood movie and that's why they suck. Good movies either have unorthodox ones, or don't have them at all. Dark Knight's is fairly unorthodox, but it's nothing groundbreaking to cinema.

The acting in hollywood blockbusters always comes across to me as unrealistic, maybe it's the way Peter Parker in the Spider-Man movies was smiling with his eyes wide open no matter what the circumstance (he even cried with the same fucking face), but like big budget actors often just seem like themselves in movies, not the character they're supposed to portray. Some actors have one fairly rigid role and try to work around it by accepting roles in movies that are well-suited to their strengths (Morgan Freeman works in The Dark Knight just as he does in most other movies, and he was fantastic imo). Even regular people can be better actors than actors themselves, just because they've been living in a more "real" reality in a time period closer to the movie's filming. Some really good examples of this are Night of the Living Dead and Slacker, where NOTLD was and probably still is considered one of the deepest horror movies there is, with racial and sexual undertones, an ending that is scarier than most of the movie itself, and some of the highest tension during a horror movie I've ever seen (the final thanks to the acting). I mean, the guy who is holding the house has to kill a child that turned bad during the time he was in the house. Slacker was a breakthrough in cinema where Linklater basically created an entirely new genre of film, and though few people have seen the movie it's well worth watching just for all the human interactions. They take place with such striking realism that you can't help but feel that's the way the world really is; but even then the camerawork breaks that reality and reminds you that it's a movie, just as most movies should at some point.

In short, The Dark Knight is a good movie (better than I thought it would be actually, considering I thought the Joker was trying too hard to be Jack Nicholson from the previews), but I can't take it seriously enough as a film for it to warrant a second watch.

+Quote Post
Axem Rangers
post Jul 29 2008, 12:41 PM
Post #25

Banned Routine

hahahahahaha indie film kid

I love Romero as much as the next warm blooded American but what Night of the Living Dead has to do with Dark Knight escapes me, they are fundamentally different in pretty much every way.

Also the love story bit sounds like something I would have said in the weeks following the Amiiii-chan disaster geez haha grow up

The bit in Dawn where they pop two kids in the head is better.

It also confuses me that your example as to why the acting in Dark Knight is bad is from Spiderman.

--------------------
I respond so fast I might break the prison glass.
So you're saying you should be able to act like this to a forum administrator, or a teacher, or a police officer, or your own parents and get away with it. You're supposed to respect these folks.

If you or a friend has the Sailor Moon S (uncut) boxset, or any of the Sailor Moon movies (uncut), and would like to sell or trade them, please contact me!
QUOTE (_ηρα @ Jul 13 2008, 05:15 AM) *
The way I see it, me and Axem are lucky in that we have around 4 years to avoid becoming an utter fuckup like you. It's a nice feeling, being young.

+Quote Post
Mazrim
post Jul 29 2008, 08:06 PM
Post #26

SPACE FIGHT

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Haven't seen The Dark Knight yet, but I saw Wall-E on the weekend and it was really good. I wasn't expecting much but I came out of it very impressed. Considering how little actual script is in the movie, it's incredible what they get across and the themes of the movie are quite interesting.

+Quote Post
Axem Rangers
post Aug 2 2008, 08:38 PM
Post #27

Banned Routine

I just finished Noriko's Dinner Table.

I liked it plenty, but it sure wasn't the easiest watch. It did a good job of explaining things that I wasn't wondering and completely ignoring the things I was (from Suicide Circle), hahaha. It spent a lot more time with "characters" than the first one did, which in a way was very helpful, especially since the male lead was so good. A lot of the themes it delt with got kind of worn my the time it was done with them, but they were all introduced so well. Everytime a new plot point was conveyed I was thinking "LOL no way that's pretty woooooow," (especially the first scene with Noriko and Ueno dressed as punk runaway daughters for the scruff businessman, and when they are unable to break character.). There were some pretty interesting shots, most memorable to me were at the beginning when Noriko is introducing us to her e-pals, and the long take near the finale with the three girls huddled around Tesuzo in the corner. I liked how often the point of the narrative jumped around (especially during the times it changed mid-scene, but the violent changes in time from cut to cut, back and forth, made it hard to follow at times. On the whole I'd say I enjoyed the first more, Noriko spent a lot more time either preaching or giving disassociated rants, but it's a good companion piece with a lot of interesting ideas.

I can't wait for the third! (Assuming it is still going to happen?)

I wish someone would put out an English edition of the goddamn novel, though.

I also watched Svankmajer's "Jabberwocky" and "Food" earlier today. Jabberwocky was endless fun, and had an almost headache inducing pace. I can't imagine how labor intensive it must have been to make! Food was pretty great, mostly the gross absurdity of the 'Dinner' sequence (my stomach was turned more by the condiments than the portion, haha). I will need to see his "Fall of the House Of User" as well as Faust next. After I rewatch Alice, anyway.

I think I am rewatching Stalker tomorrow evening. I've come to the temporary conclusion that it's fucking brilliant and all of "my problems with it" are simply my problems, but we'll see how I feel afterwards.

ALSO CRITERION 2-DISC SALO OUT SOON FUCK TO THE FUCKING YEAH

--------------------
So you're saying you should be able to act like this to a forum administrator, or a teacher, or a police officer, or your own parents and get away with it. You're supposed to respect these folks.

If you or a friend has the Sailor Moon S (uncut) boxset, or any of the Sailor Moon movies (uncut), and would like to sell or trade them, please contact me!
The way I see it, me and Axem are lucky in that we have around 4 years to avoid becoming an utter fuckup like you. It's a nice feeling, being young.

+Quote Post
Axem Rangers
post Aug 7 2008, 04:13 PM
Post #28

Banned Routine

(In stark contrast to most critical analysis,) I think I had an easier time with Stalker than I did with Solaris.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djplaeskool
post Aug 7 2008, 10:39 PM
Post #29

Wolf in a box

DJ Battle This User

Everyone, do yourselves a favor and go see Pineapple Express.

--------------------
Now Playing:
miqo'te montessori / SHARLAYAN DISCO / Lominsa区 / SP☆3 5 8 / DP☆5 8 10
Emergency Code Aibou / ARKZ TECHNO / The Oracle Fleet / SP☆7 10 12 / DP☆8 11 12
Foliage Ocean / CELCETA-STEP / DJs from Ys / SP☆6 9 10 / DP☆7 10 12

+Quote Post
One Niceass Indi...
post Aug 8 2008, 03:03 AM
Post #30

they keep referring to me as that

QUOTE(djplaeskool @ Aug 7 2008, 08:39 PM) *
Everyone, do yourselves a favor and go see Pineapple Express.

this is the worst time for me to run out of weed

worse than when ATHF colon movie film for theaters came out. I have some curse related to being sober when stoner flicks come out.

Regardless, I'm excited for this one!

--------------------
It never ends.

You call it a miracle.

Others opt to refer to it by its ORIGINAL NAME

+Quote Post
Axem Rangers
post Aug 11 2008, 03:56 PM
Post #31

Banned Routine

I sure do like Blue Velvet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
security tubbs
post Aug 12 2008, 05:18 AM
Post #32

The Shadow

QUOTE(Axem Rangers @ Aug 11 2008, 01:56 PM) *
I sure do like Blue Velvet.

Thumbs way the fuck up.

I honestly love David Lynch's work in every case that isn't Erasherhead. Especially that insane Dune adaptation.

"MY NAME IS A KILLING WORD!"

+Quote Post
Axem Rangers
post Aug 12 2008, 10:47 AM
Post #33

Banned Routine

Eraserhead is my favorite movie, and David Lynch is my favorite director.

I didn't want to bring up Lynch, just Blue Velvet, because talking about the larger body of his work with most people is fairly aggravating.

Dune is pretty great also.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Deoxysapple
post Aug 15 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #34

Dazzlin' Darlin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7562557.stm

"...Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince... pushed back... to July 2009."

sad.gif

It better freaking own when it's out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rmz
post Aug 15 2008, 05:55 PM
Post #35

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

So how about that Clone Wars

+Quote Post
Eggman of the St...
post Aug 15 2008, 06:03 PM
Post #36

Lost Odyssey Defense Squad

DJ Battle This User

I'm not surprised. I thought it started as a straight-to-DVD release. And it probably should've stayed as one.

+Quote Post
djplaeskool
post Aug 15 2008, 06:23 PM
Post #37

Wolf in a box

DJ Battle This User

Ya, seriously.
All signs and reviews point to it being like a mediocre hour and a half long pilot of a mediocre series...
Which it basically is...

--------------------
Now Playing:

+Quote Post
PkerUNO
post Aug 15 2008, 08:48 PM
Post #38

Tenor Hamster

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I just saw the adverts for it and said "What... the... shit".

--------------------
PkerUNO

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Aug 15 2008, 08:58 PM
Post #39

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I saw the trailer or whatever and was wondering mostly why they purposefully made the characters look awful

--------------------

+Quote Post
djplaeskool
post Aug 15 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #40

Wolf in a box

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(Xythar @ Aug 15 2008, 08:58 PM) *
I saw the trailer or whatever and was wondering mostly why they purposefully made the characters look awful

There was an open house/advance viewing at the Skywalker Ranch a couple of weeks ago.
Supposedly, they're supposed to look like painted wooden marionettes...why? Even Lucasfilm had no logical reasoning for that "artistic" "decision" btns.gif

--------------------
Now Playing:

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th October 2018 - 12:18 PM