Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mafia etiquette and stuffs
Schala
post Mar 15 2014, 12:01 PM
Post #1

excessively entitled

This may be obvious to some, maybe not others, but Mafia should be a fun party game thingy. Personal attacks and insulting people's intellect and stuff isn't cool really, even if used as a tool to further your position in the game (like bluffing in poker or whatever). I don't mean anything bad I've said in these games at least, and take it all back, though I can't say for sure everyone had innocent intentions. I'm sure the majority of players don't harbor grudges or have ill intentions (stuff like Polaris attacking vader in SMRPG was a huge turnoff even for me), but you never know!!

Any kind of hateful comment should probably be kept out of the game though, so I'm going to link this thread in any games I run as a new "rule" of sorts to really keep sportsmanship and respect in mind, given the nature of this game being purely communication and minds-to-minds. No one wants to be hurt, and they probably can be if you get too edgy, even if both you and they know it's still part of the game. When you punch/kick someone in Street Fighter you're not like, doing it for real nor are you intending to, and people should know that is the case for Mafia too, but sometimes the line gets blurred I guess.

Other hosts don't have to like, care about this "rule" (I dunno how much I'll even be able to "enforce" it in my games but I will try), but I think it's an important rule to keep the games super fun for everyone playing and spectating. If you want hateful games go play on SA or something (I know not everyone there is hateful but a lot of the #mafia people are pretty mean, like Ecco is a shining example of the kind of person I would NOT allow in my games simply for the way he's treated various people who innocently request insight), if you want purely emotionless games there's mafiascum or whatever probably (they just play by the book right?), but I want like super happy fun games if hosting/playing on here. Like just...play the same, but be nice and make sure no one's feelings are getting hurt, right???

I don't feel this needs to be overexplained so I won't say too much more. Just look for scumtells or avoid making them (or whatever, you know, play for your team), be charismatic about it instead of an emotionless robot (unless you so desire the robot part), and try to not insult the other players. Even if you do have a problem with whatever, that's annoying to see anyway, like if you're playing a board game and they bump you off in "Sorry" or whatever you shouldn't be like, all insulting them as a person because a random event happened in a board game.

Basically I'm just expressing concern that most of the games on here are lacking universal appeal due to calling each other dumb or even names much worse than that, and other such hatefulness. Hate should not be used as a tool to play for your team in Mafia, nor should it be in the game period. Playing Mafia is NOT an excuse to be an asshole in my opinion, so I'm going to be harsher on that from this point on and try my best to not play that way myself anymore. Sorry for anything I've said and that anyone else has said (and I forgive like Polaris even, though I don't think he's ever going to play again).

Thanks for reading and hopefully I don't come across as too silly for caring this much!!

p.s. It's not cool outside of the thread either, when everyone is just like, "wow this player is a fucking idiot for guessing wrong in this glorified guessing game, like how could they not know the full setup? come on!!" which happens more than you think!!

p.p.s. Basically Mafia can bring out the worst in people but I want to see it be a loving game instead of a hateful or spiteful game. I don't think it's been a BIG problem here or anything, especially compared to some other sites I've played on, but you know. Let's be nice!!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Schala
post Mar 15 2014, 12:33 PM
Post #2

excessively entitled

oh and public apology to meeshter for pushing you far enough in that one game until you called me ~the c-word~ and quit the game for a week. thinking of that kind of stuff makes me realize how much I've changed since then and how much I'd really prefer the game in general to change to being 100% fun party respectful niceness thingy, yet still full of life and charisma and charm.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pidgey
post Mar 15 2014, 12:58 PM
Post #3

The Shadow

Should this apply to me i dunno

--------------------

Don't get near me

+Quote Post
Schala
post Mar 15 2014, 01:12 PM
Post #4

excessively entitled

QUOTE (Pidgey @ Mar 15 2014, 12:58 PM) *
Should this apply to me i dunno

idk this isn't a callout thread (and I'm sorry for using polaris in smrpg as an example but I had to make a point) but rather a ~loving thread~

the closer our in-thread/out-of-thread attitudes stray toward like fighting game community stuff, the worse imo. that's all, and hopefully no one takes offense to any of this. be receptive please!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
BigC
post Mar 15 2014, 02:16 PM
Post #5

Candy Galy

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (Marlie Tang @ Mar 15 2014, 11:12 AM) *
the closer our in-thread/out-of-thread attitudes stray toward like fighting game community stuff, the worse imo. that's all, and hopefully no one takes offense to any of this. be receptive please!!

Or even worse, the ITG community.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Mar 15 2014, 04:55 PM
Post #6

I♥prat fall

you can't spell leather glove without the large love

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti

+Quote Post
Prims
post Mar 15 2014, 06:47 PM
Post #7

Rising in the Sun

QUOTE (Marlie Tang @ Mar 15 2014, 10:01 AM) *
if you want purely emotionless games there's mafiascum or whatever probably (they just play by the book right?)

nah mafiascum games are ego-driven circlejerks, don't play there ever

--------------------

+Quote Post
Prims
post Mar 15 2014, 07:27 PM
Post #8

Rising in the Sun

Also I agree that mafia should be more fun than competitive but I'm apparently a bad judge at this because there have been multiple times where I've been playing a game and was jokingly like "nah I'm town if you disagree you're DUMB and WRONG" and then people think I'm seriously trying to put them down and get upset.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pidgey
post Mar 16 2014, 08:18 AM
Post #9

The Shadow

but you are dumb prims....

--------------------

Don't get near me

+Quote Post
Prims
post Mar 16 2014, 08:24 AM
Post #10

Rising in the Sun

Look I haven't actually played a full game here yet but that doesn't mean I don't know about turboing pidgey.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mazrim
post Mar 16 2014, 07:30 PM
Post #11

SPACE FIGHT

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE (Marlie Tang @ Mar 15 2014, 11:33 AM) *
oh and public apology to meeshter for pushing you far enough in that one game until you called me ~the c-word~ and quit the game for a week. thinking of that kind of stuff makes me realize how much I've changed since then and how much I'd really prefer the game in general to change to being 100% fun party respectful niceness thingy, yet still full of life and charisma and charm.

This may sound all "feels" but it takes a lot to admit mistakes. Good on you for apologizing. If we can make it a fun atmosphere for everyone then it encourages participation.

+Quote Post
bapple cider vin...
post Mar 16 2014, 09:55 PM
Post #12

The Village of the Lovers of Heckran

dunno why i called cata (or was it carl) stupid that one time (he/they probably just went after me in a shitty way [likening me to Ken Ham!]; and i wasnt used to someone OtherThan krys/cyg/shane/vader/others going after me harshly or semi-harshly). just seems like some kind of thought process---even though, through past experience, im able to act calm or logical: there are still rough spots for some reason.

mbd vs pidgey still allowed righ?

--------------------

hualep ola whef

+Quote Post
Pidgey
post Mar 17 2014, 12:20 AM
Post #13

The Shadow

I think Shane and I both know its all in game even if it gets agitated at times, he is a cool guy.

MBD can become a little more personal from my POV but its still all in the game with him, at least with me.

--------------------

Don't get near me

+Quote Post
Schala
post Mar 17 2014, 01:24 AM
Post #14

excessively entitled

QUOTE (bapple cider vinegar @ Mar 16 2014, 09:55 PM) *
mbd vs pidgey still allowed righ?

The One Exception

--------------------

+Quote Post
grayfox9996
post Mar 18 2014, 11:06 PM
Post #15

Ready for mission.

DJ Battle This User

Long as people stop insulting me I'll be okay with it. Sometimes it makes me laugh, but a few people I won't name push things a little far.

--------------------
QUOTE (IIDX Clock @ Jan 31 2009, 08:21 AM) *
actually, Japan has REALLY high technology.

heck they even have predecessors to HD already

+Quote Post
Prims
post Mar 19 2014, 09:13 PM
Post #16

Rising in the Sun

not talking about anything in specific but just saying that if theoretically, there was a mafia game where a dead player got subbed into a new playerslot, it'd probably be good form to make a ruling that said player could only win under their new playerslot, so that the player couldn't try to use multiple win conditions as an argument or anything

This post has been edited by Prims: Mar 19 2014, 09:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pidgey
post Mar 20 2014, 01:29 AM
Post #17

The Shadow

Agree

--------------------

Don't get near me

+Quote Post
CarlSagan
post Mar 20 2014, 02:08 AM
Post #18

The Shadow

just read this thread happy.gif

+Quote Post
m335h73r
post Mar 25 2014, 02:17 PM
Post #19

Roll for Tier

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (Marlie Tang @ Mar 15 2014, 10:33 AM) *

Just read this, I'm over it all, I really should have had a stronger spine during that game I dunno.

Sorry I called you the c word, tho. That was really rude of me. :C

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Oct 30 2014, 07:12 AM
Post #20

I♥prat fall

actually it's about ethics in mafia journalism

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti