IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When do you believe IIDX popularity peaked in North America?
When do you believe IIDX popularity peaked in North America?
IIDX popularity peaked in NA during the year(s)...
2000-2001 (2nd-6th AC, 3rd-5th CS) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2002-2003 (7th-9th AC, 6th CS) [ 3 ] ** [8.11%]
2004-2005 (10th-HS AC, 7th-10th CS) [ 22 ] ** [59.46%]
2006-2007 (DD-TROOPERS AC, RED-DD CS) [ 6 ] ** [16.22%]
2008 (EMPRESS AC, GOLD-TROOPERS CS) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
It hasn't peaked. It's stronger than ever and shows no signs of declining! [ 6 ] ** [16.22%]
Total Votes: 37
Guests cannot vote 
Oogami
post Oct 21 2008, 07:14 AM
Post #1

Candy Galy

I'm not including 1999 since I'm almost completely sure no IIDX machine even existed in the US during that year, and since no CS versions were available yet there's no way IIDX popularity could have peaked then.

EDIT: added the last choice for obvious reasons. I can't believe I forgot it in the first place.

--------------------

More people should contribute scores to RetroFuture :>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spiritsnare
post Oct 21 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #2

make some noise daaadaadada

Never.

As for relative popularity, maybe after BMUSish?

--------------------

+Quote Post
BLUST OF WIND
post Oct 21 2008, 01:59 PM
Post #3

The Shadow

^this...but for sake of the question, probably around 10th-happy sky ish cause thats when people started getting tired of DDR and needed other outlets.

--------------------
<Eijiken> Beggars can't exactly be choosers you know.
<a_40_oz_for_breakfast> Beggers can be niggers though
<a_40_oz_for_breakfast> :>

+Quote Post
Oogami
post Oct 21 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #4

Candy Galy

QUOTE(Spiritsnare @ Oct 21 2008, 11:26 AM) *
Never.

As for relative popularity, maybe after BMUSish?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I know it's never been *popular* (as in the mainstream), but this has nothing to do with the poll.

--------------------

More people should contribute scores to RetroFuture :>

+Quote Post
grayfox9996
post Oct 21 2008, 03:35 PM
Post #5

Ready for mission.

DJ Battle This User

I'd say 2004-2006, from the 7th Style hype all the way through the death of BMUS. But most of that was building up through 2005, from what I could tell, so I put the earlier portion of it.

--------------------
QUOTE (IIDX Clock @ Jan 31 2009, 08:21 AM) *
actually, Japan has REALLY high technology.

heck they even have predecessors to HD already

+Quote Post
Spiritsnare
post Oct 21 2008, 04:35 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Oogami @ Oct 21 2008, 01:22 PM) *
I'm not sure what you mean by this. I know it's never been *popular* (as in the mainstream), but this has nothing to do with the poll.

Ergo, the second line on relative popularity. I honestly think IIDX in the US surged somewhat when the USKOC released, and thus I voted for RED-DD.

On the other hand, all I know about IIDX and its community pre-9th CS is Rislim -Remix- - I wonder, should I even be answering this question...?

--------------------

+Quote Post
rmz
post Oct 21 2008, 06:45 PM
Post #7

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

I'm going to frame this in terms of long-time regular posters who have either quit posting on VJA or otherwise left the community.

10th CS.

Of course, we have gotten lots of new members lately but the discussion going on in the forum seems to be just as much on non-IIDX as IIDX stuff lately, which is definitely not how it used to be.

+Quote Post
grayfox9996
post Oct 21 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #8

Ready for mission.

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(rmz @ Oct 21 2008, 04:45 PM) *
the discussion going on in the forum seems to be just as much on non-IIDX as IIDX stuff lately, which is definitely not how it used to be.

Yeah, this is very true - the forum has changed a lot since the 7th - RED (maybe even Happy Sky?) CS days. I got here a few months after 7th came out, and there was always activity in the Let's Talk It Over sub-forum about SOMETHING related to the game, and the other IIDX-related sub-forums were a lot more active, as well.

Now it's more like everyone just knows each other, and there's not much left to talk about IIDX (or people just don't play it as much anymore? that's how it is for me, at least), so the discussion has moved on to other things. What that, specifically, has to say about the state of the game in the US is anyone's guess, but to me, it feels like IIDX is down on popularity here.

--------------------
QUOTE (IIDX Clock @ Jan 31 2009, 08:21 AM) *
actually, Japan has REALLY high technology.

heck they even have predecessors to HD already

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Oct 21 2008, 11:53 PM
Post #9

I♥prat fall

guitar hero killed iidx in america!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti

+Quote Post
Buffalo
post Oct 22 2008, 12:59 AM
Post #10

The Shadow

I dunno though, the IIDX community has always been pretty small though so it feels just about the same as it did back when I started playing in 2005.

--------------------
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

+Quote Post
Mazrim
post Oct 22 2008, 02:35 PM
Post #11

SPACE FIGHT

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

When I started playing IIDX and reading the community on a regular basis, it seemed more popular than now simply because many people were in the same boat as me: We had just started, we hadn't played the older releases yet, we didn't know everything about the game, we were still learning how to play certain stuff properly, how to pinky scratch well, etc.

Now most of those people know everything there is to know about the game, and we've got much more information about new arcade releases than we did back when 8th AC or 9th AC were new games thanks to the speed of information travelling over the internet relative to 2-5 years ago. Thanks to youtube, we can watch the charts in action for every song in a new release in less than a month, and before then no one could or would hack new games to find out all the unlocks either. Alot of us would be hearing songs for the first time when the OST would come out, or would only see the IIDX video for a song when the CS release came out.

I also believe that IIDX reached a peak before the release of BMUS. CS releases were just picking up steam with the speed of releases, the new features and especially the new interface in RED that has continued through DJT and Empress (the style has not changed much since RED). Now the next release isn't too long after we've finally settled down with the newest CS version, and information is so well known that there isn't much to discuss or speculate.

We've also generated much more repositories for information about the game, which means less newbie questions because they can refer to Wikipedia/IIDXicon/etc.

+Quote Post
Schlagwerk
post Oct 22 2008, 03:28 PM
Post #12

INCLUSIVE EXUBERANCE

DJ Battle This User

The poll needs an option for "After DJ Hero and Scratch: The Ultimate DJ created a market for DJ simulation games OH WAIT IIDX IS CHINESE MAN AND A DJ HERO RIPOFF"

--------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. All right, give me the bomb."

+Quote Post
CoreyBlaze
post Oct 22 2008, 07:41 PM
Post #13

Dazzlin' Darlin

I've always felt that IIDX is like my little secret game that no one knows about lol.

Buuuut if anything, it peaked back when bmus was released and it got *some* media attention (even though it was largely negative). With the advent of those 3D-guitar games there is no place for something like IIDX in America. Even if DJ Hero succeeded and people suddenly put attention in what beatmania has been doing for 11 years, it would only appeal to hardcore players, not casual gamers, the determining factor in large commercial successes like DDR, GH and the Nintendo Wii.

+Quote Post
Spiritsnare
post Oct 23 2008, 03:19 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(CoreyBlaze @ Oct 22 2008, 05:41 PM) *
I've always felt that IIDX is like my little secret game that no one knows about lol.

I've always felt that about the whole Bemani series, DDR aside.

Every time I introduce myself as a music game addict and they start saying "oh, like IIDX/pop'n/GFdm" I get hella excited because I never hear that at all

--------------------

+Quote Post
OnePhraseBlues
post Oct 24 2008, 02:43 PM
Post #15

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

i thought it was just me that realized the North American IIDX community was slowly dying. This sucks cause now i'm playing it a lot more than ever (an ASC and an arcade about 15 minutes away kind of helps)

+Quote Post
BLUST OF WIND
post Oct 24 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #16

The Shadow

QUOTE(OnePhraseBlues @ Oct 24 2008, 03:43 PM) *
i thought it was just me that realized the North American IIDX community was slowly dying. This sucks cause now i'm playing it a lot more than ever (an ASC and an arcade about 15 minutes away kind of helps)

well, we're all just getting old and have better things to do really.

Not to mention with very few arcades with machines, its very difficult.

--------------------
<Eijiken> Beggars can't exactly be choosers you know.
<a_40_oz_for_breakfast> Beggers can be niggers though
<a_40_oz_for_breakfast> :>

+Quote Post
Deoxysapple
post Oct 27 2008, 05:10 PM
Post #17

Dazzlin' Darlin

Being someone who got into IIDX and Bemani in general long after what most people tend to call the "better days" of these games, I of course cannot gauge IIDX's popularity.

From what I can tell (correct me if I'm wrong here), most Bemani, but especially IIDX, is almost completely unknown in this country, but because it's a healthy and consistently successful franchise in Japan, the game lives on here, even if it's only for the like, 25 people who go to this site.

For the record, I got into IIDX for three reasons:

1) IIDX is either the most challenging or at least one of the most challenging rhythm games ever designed, and for me, the greater the challenge, the greater the entertainment.

2) Unlike In The Groove, which I used to be into, IIDX is still in production.

3) With pretty much 0% mainstream exposure, coupled with its rather uninviting interface and utter lack of casual appeal, IIDX has and could very well remain to be a game that is kept away from the masses who would much rather play Rock Band and GH.

And, not to sound elitist about it, but thank god. Mainstream audiences aren't ready for a game that has one version of it having a dark military theme, and the following version having a theme of hot pink with butterflies. Within the same game, you have Stoic, murmur twins, Nageki No Ki AND Sana Mollete Ne Ente. While I personally enjoy such a versatile songlist, it's a far cry from what most people who play music games want, which is to have an easy time playing songs they already know in-between drinks at a party. Red Hot Chili Peppers and Paramore, not Lion Musashi and L.E.D.-G.

So yeah IIDX is obscure and that ain't a bad thing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sneaky
post Oct 27 2008, 05:35 PM
Post #18

For me:
DDR
google'd 'ddr simulator', found FFR, then arch0wl.com
found Stepmania, whored that :QUASAR 1.5 LOLOLOL:
years go by
Pop'n Music 10
IIDX simulator [read up on BMS]
bought BMUS/KOC bundle
bought IIDX Red
year goes by where I'm busy playing CoD4, etc. for 360 [including all GH games]
had to sell my 360 due to personal reasons

IIDX is left. I don't enjoy DDR that much, and I've played enough stepmania to last a life time, so here I am, with a game that flew under the radar for me. Now I have Red, gold, and distorted, making my way through the songlists, experiencing this fun, addicting game that I enjoy thoroughly.

IIDX's popularity with ME will never dwindle.. However, for popularity in N.A., I would have to agree with Deoxys. We have to take 'popularity' with a grain of salt. It will probably always be underground, because of how crapp-ily BMUS was received. For Bemani in america, DDR will always be the headliner, because everyone has seen/knows what it is, and its at nearly every arcade.

There's two sides to it, like everything. A) Yes, it's nice that it's not mainstream here, because only the dedicated players come to these forums/play in general. cool.gif It would be nice to share this game with friends/others in America that are really into beat games, but then there's the chance that it could get changed to fit the wants of OUR general gamer culture, which would ruin IIDX.

For mainstream, it's never hit jack shit
For us, here on the forums and IIDX players across America, our popularity with it will always exist, it's just how active we are in the IIDX community about it that makes the numbers waver.

+Quote Post
WILD RIDE
post Oct 27 2008, 06:06 PM
Post #19

WILD RIDE

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(Deoxysapple @ Oct 27 2008, 06:10 PM) *
Within the same game, you have Stoic, murmur twins, Nageki No Ki AND Sana Mollete Ne Ente

Not in any one game we don't. Whatever happened to Sana Mollete Ne Ente anyway? It's been in like, 20 DDRs. Why has it only been in one IIDX?

--------------------
WILD RIDE

+Quote Post
Deoxysapple
post Oct 27 2008, 07:02 PM
Post #20

Dazzlin' Darlin

QUOTE(WILD RIDE @ Oct 27 2008, 04:06 PM) *
Not in any one game we don't. Whatever happened to Sana Mollete Ne Ente anyway? It's been in like, 20 DDRs. Why has it only been in one IIDX?
Not what I meant. I'm referring to the range of music encompassed by the series as a whole, not necessarily what any one installment in particular may have. Even then, look at GOLD CS, where you can play Vanessa and then right after, play Luv 2 Feel Your Body.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2018 - 10:38 AM