Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

114 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So how's the Wii?
Jadin
post Nov 19 2006, 11:36 AM
Post #1

I♥prat fall

Yeah, I just wanna hear from people on vjarmy who played the Wii FIRSTHAND, since I know that a lot of you guys aren't fanboys and have the balls to tell it like it is. I know opinions will differ; I'm just looking for honesty without the BS. Is it AWESOME? Or just pretty cool but worth it? Or even... BAD? Is it comfortable, or awkward? etc.

I'm asking 'cause I won't get to play one for a bit, but I want to try it out :x

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Axem Rangers
post Nov 19 2006, 11:42 AM
Post #2

Banned Routine

I don't really want to own one at the moment (not enough games, witing for a nicer bundle), but I really am looking forward to getting to play one. Report back to us after the initial excitement has worn off, though, so you aren't still blinded by the "W0aMG zomygawd!" factor. tongue.gif

--------------------
I respond so fast I might break the prison glass.
So you're saying you should be able to act like this to a forum administrator, or a teacher, or a police officer, or your own parents and get away with it. You're supposed to respect these folks.

If you or a friend has the Sailor Moon S (uncut) boxset, or any of the Sailor Moon movies (uncut), and would like to sell or trade them, please contact me!
QUOTE (_ηρα @ Jul 13 2008, 05:15 AM) *
The way I see it, me and Axem are lucky in that we have around 4 years to avoid becoming an utter fuckup like you. It's a nice feeling, being young.

+Quote Post
jammitch!
post Nov 19 2006, 12:21 PM
Post #3

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I'd answer but 1) I've put in a grand total of 20 minutes so far and 2) I'm a total fanboy.

However, I would recommend not spending the week before getting it playing nonstop IIDX.

--------------------
Ode to RAM
ALL RIGHT, ACT HIGH and LOW
SWITCH to the LAB and FEEL IT SNOW

He had found a Slake-o-Matic machine which had provided him with a compact disc filled with a sound that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike music.

+Quote Post
rmz
post Nov 19 2006, 12:33 PM
Post #4

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

We only had time to play some Wii Sports (and make some Miis) last night before bed, but I'm planning on a Zelda/Trauma Center binge today ohmy.gif

I'm really really happy with it so far, though. Using the remote as a pointer is such a refreshing change from the standard old controller configuration that has been in use since the frigging dawn of the NES.

+Quote Post
HYPER BOUNDARY G...
post Nov 19 2006, 12:41 PM
Post #5

Egyptian Nomad

Thus far Wii sports is underwhelming, but the control was fantastic. That is, everything plays nicely, but aside from bowling the games tend to end without feeling like I've really had any fun.

I have Zelda but haven't played it yet, because I wanna give it a fair amount of time and I'm on the verge of passing out from lack of sleep. I didn't camp out, but since I'm an idiot I didn't preorder Zelda and wound up trekking to Wal-Mart at 6:30 am. Full impressions pending for this evening. =)

I got everything I wanted except a spare nunchuck attachment, which is pretty frustrating, but I can live with that for now. Aside from the one moment I fought with the Gamestop/EBGames store manager because they only stocked enough spare controllers to fill the 6 preorders they got for them.

--------------------
"Do not mistake me for an ordinary man...

Even though I am, in fact, just an ordinary man."

~Earthbound Zero

+Quote Post
Kirby Kirby Kirb...
post Nov 19 2006, 01:09 PM
Post #6

Cosmic Cat

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Reviews from last week's outing to Arcadia Gaming Festival:
http://abxy.org/a/Arcadia_Impressions_-_Wa...e_Smooth_Moves/
http://abxy.org/a/Arcadia_Impressions_-_Excite_Truck/

I don't have one now because I currently have 31$.

And one game isn't enough to warrant a purchase.

+Quote Post
Deets
post Nov 19 2006, 02:04 PM
Post #7

all jew (about damaging it)

Toe Jam & Earl is worth buying no matter what the cost. It's been proven by people on the internet. I think I've already said this.

PS A friend of mine has a wii that freezes whenever he exits an area in Zelda. OMFG NICE JOB SUCKTENDO

+Quote Post
Eggman of the St...
post Nov 19 2006, 02:18 PM
Post #8

Lost Odyssey Defense Squad

DJ Battle This User

Your friend's probably the only one in the universe. Or lying.

I'm absolutely amazed so far. Everything's so comfortable. I'll get around to trying Sports and Trauma Center....some day. Zelda first. Also, it's really easy to get used to the controller with Zelda. I had basically zero learning curve with what I've done so far. Even my dad's enjoyed it immensely. He awaits a full fishing game.

+Quote Post
Axem Rangers
post Nov 19 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #9

Banned Routine

QUOTE(Eggman @ Nov 19 2006, 02:18 PM) *
He awaits a full fishing game.

OH MY GOD YOU COULD USE THE WIIMOTE TO ROW THE BOAT

--------------------
I respond so fast I might break the prison glass.
So you're saying you should be able to act like this to a forum administrator, or a teacher, or a police officer, or your own parents and get away with it. You're supposed to respect these folks.

If you or a friend has the Sailor Moon S (uncut) boxset, or any of the Sailor Moon movies (uncut), and would like to sell or trade them, please contact me!
QUOTE (_ηρα @ Jul 13 2008, 05:15 AM) *
The way I see it, me and Axem are lucky in that we have around 4 years to avoid becoming an utter fuckup like you. It's a nice feeling, being young.

+Quote Post
Eggman of the St...
post Nov 19 2006, 03:11 PM
Post #10

DJ Battle This User

Okay. I am not kidding. My dad actually said that he'd want that.

+Quote Post
deathrazor
post Nov 19 2006, 03:21 PM
Post #11

fffff

I have zelda. But no wii. This is horrible. AGONY.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eggman of the St...
post Nov 19 2006, 03:33 PM
Post #12

DJ Battle This User

So as it turns out, I am fucking amazing at Wii Boxing. I managed to pull off the Dempsey Roll as much as the game would allow it hahahaha. Completely floored my computer opponent.

By the way, there's a Hajime no Ippo game coming out for the Wii at some point. I better not be the only one crying that it will never come here ;_; I would LOVE to do the Dempsey Roll, the White Fang, the Smash, the fucking FROG PUNCH and so many other amazing boxing attacks.

The whole thing is really fun. I bowl better in video games than real life. I retain my slice in golf though.

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Nov 19 2006, 04:50 PM
Post #13

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I GUESS NOT EVERYONE WANTS IT HOHOHO

I can't afford it ;_;

--------------------

+Quote Post
sanchny
post Nov 19 2006, 06:51 PM
Post #14

The Shadow

They didn't have Call of Duty at the Nintendo store today, so I didn't get that and only got Zelda and Rayman. Played 5 minigames in Rayman: it's hilarious as expected. Played Wii Sports a bit, and damn I suck at it. Accuracy and direction (in Tennis and Baseball) based solely on timing feels weird to me, so I need to get used to it. And Zelda I barely just started, so I can't really comment on the games much.

The Wii Remote is so comfortable, though. Just the fact that the two pieces are detached makes a huge difference, since you can hold them in different places and aren't confined to holding your arms and hands in one set position close together like you would with any other controller.

As for the Wii Remote usage in the games, there's a learning curve. Rayman is going to help me wrap my head around using it to do a ton of different things, but while Wii Sports' controls have that huge novelty factor, it still feels strange and not familiar.
Zelda's controls feel perfect and then some, mostly because of how comfortable the controller is like I said in the last paragraph. Then again, I haven't hit any gimmicky controller parts.

As for the Wii itself, the interface is damn nice. It's simplistic but aesthetically pleasing. And the functionality is really nicely integrated. That is to say, it doesn't feel like a game system + extra crap (news, weather, etc.) tacked on; the Wii games just feel like a part of the whole package. In any game, you can hit the Home button on the Wii Remote, and it'll bring up a menu that looks like it's part of the main menu. It gives you the option to reset the game from that menu, or exit the game and go back to the Wii system menu.

And just as I was about to post this, I found out this nifty feature: you can send email from your Wii! Edit: which someone tells me the 360 can do as well. laugh.gif
There's an option to add email addresses on your message board place thing. Both parties have to verify each other, though: first you enter the email address in your Wii, and then that email gets a (pre-written) message from Nintendo asking for permission. They have to reply, or otherwise you can't send messages back and forth. That's kind of cute. laugh.gif
I turned the console off, and while I did that, I received the reply from the email. So the console is still off, but now it's glowing to show that I have something new waiting for me, which is kind of badass. laugh.gif

I'm disappointed that news and weather aren't enabled yet, though.

+Quote Post
Remy
post Nov 19 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #15

VJ Army is dead or alive

I will skip the details of the bitter cold that was endured to procure a Wii.

I ultimately got four games: Wii Sports, Monkey Ball, Trauma Center, and Zelda.

I have played Wii Sports the longest. The bowling controls are excellent and natural. Everything else I've played, not so much. Golf was wonky (Katie actually threw down the controller in frustration), Boxing was really wonky, Tennis was unnatural, and Baseball was easily cheaped-around by snapping your wrist. Still, for a pack-in, it's okay.

Trauma Center has impressed me the most at this point. Plays much better than the DS version, even if it's exactly the same mission-wise (at least at the beginning). High recommendation.

Monkey Ball leaves a lot to be desired. The pause method doesn't seem to work for me, and I can't turn sharply enough. At least there are a lot of mini-games.

I have played Zelda for 5 minutes and I have no idea what the fuck is going on. I was sitting near a pond with some guy who wanted me to go to Hyrule, and then someone took my horse and washed it. Oh, and someone wanted me to help him herd sheep. GOTY, obviously.

As most everyone who's listened to me rant about Nintendo knows, I came into the Wii with really low expectations. They have not been exceeded, at this point. The oncoming draught of games isn't going to help.

--------------------
Make rigorous observations, and be prepared to cite your sources.

+Quote Post
sanchny
post Nov 19 2006, 08:20 PM
Post #16

The Shadow

QUOTE(Remy @ Nov 19 2006, 09:11 PM) *
I have played Zelda for 5 minutes and I have no idea what the fuck is going on. I was sitting near a pond with some guy who wanted me to go to Hyrule, and then someone took my horse and washed it. Oh, and someone wanted me to help him herd sheep. GOTY, obviously.

I got stuck in the very first part where you control Link. There was an arrow by the scarecrow, which led me to believe that you had to do something with it, especially since trying to go after the horse via what seemed like the only available exit led to the guy yelling at me and not letting me leave.
Yeah, I eventually found the right road, but it's not a good sign to get stuck like that right away. mellow.gif

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Nov 19 2006, 08:32 PM
Post #17

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE(Remy @ Nov 19 2006, 08:11 PM) *
The oncoming draught of games isn't going to help.

You mean drought, unless Wii games are blowing in under your door smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
HYPER BOUNDARY G...
post Nov 19 2006, 08:33 PM
Post #18

Egyptian Nomad

I got stuck in the beginning too, because I couldn't quite figure out the fishing, and then someone IMed me about bait, and I thought I needed to do something to get bait first.

IMO it seems like someone tried really hard to come up with a cogent narrative to tie all the boring tutorial stuff together and make it appear natural, but because of that it ends up taking 2+ hours just to the point where it feels like the game's actually starting.

It's also hard to get a feel for how good the sword combat is with the Wiimote given that most enemies early on can be taken out pretty easily by the more immediately intuitive "lock-on + A button" attack. Aiming with the slingshot, etc., is great though.

Too bad, now I have to leave it be until the Thanksgiving break. =(

--------------------
"Do not mistake me for an ordinary man...

Even though I am, in fact, just an ordinary man."

~Earthbound Zero

+Quote Post
davidbrit2
post Nov 19 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #19

19,NOVEMBER LOLOL

Monkey Ball leaves a lot to be desired. The pause method doesn't seem to work for me,

You have to HOLD DOWN the + button (not the d-pad) for a couple seconds. Kinda worrying that I had to check the manual just to figure out how to pause the damned game...

+Quote Post
Kirby Kirby Kirb...
post Nov 19 2006, 09:00 PM
Post #20

Cosmic Cat

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE(sanchny @ Nov 19 2006, 06:51 PM) *
the entire post

Sounds familiar. laugh.gif

Sounds a lot like every other Zelda game... overrated crap. (Excluding Majora's Mask, Link's Awakening and Wind Waker)

As most everyone who's listened to me rant about Nintendo knows, I came into the Wii with really low expectations. They have not been exceeded, at this point. The oncoming draught of games isn't going to help.

That's the problem with launch systems... Most of the time, the launch lineup is weak, and it fails to live up to its hype due to the crappy lineup. I might consider getting the system at some point:
- if there's a price drop
- once Elebits is out
- or once the first gen of good WFC games roll out (and since the first WFC game is supposed to be Pokemon Battle Revolution + Diamond/Pearl, probably that will be the driving factor)

+Quote Post

114 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th October 2019 - 08:17 PM