Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> USB adapters/overclocking, and INPUT LAG in general
Elphaba
post Jul 22 2012, 11:01 PM
Post #1

Everyone Is Epic Winnocent

From: Darkness Beyond Time (And I'm the Dog, or Bitch, Schala)

So I'm helping out cyghfer and funkdoc real quick with this stuff

I told funkdoc to get the Super Joy Box 3 since he's on a laptop (and I'm not sure if parallel works with that, never used a laptop - maybe that pcmia/expresscard stuff he was talking about could work)

Link to Super Joy Box 3: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00...p;condition=new
Told him to buy it from easyvape based on reviews saying some other sellers were selling knockoffs, but easyvape's is the real thing

Super Joy Box 3 vs. 5? I have no idea. I just rec'd 3 since it seems to be the tried and true "best USB adapter for IIDX" right? I have only ever played IIDX PC on parallel though (not counting EMS USB2 or whatever in 2005ish which was the worst experience of my life), so I have zero experience with SJB 3 or 5

So what about overclocking the USB on Windows 7 64-bit? I haven't done USB overclocking since XP SP2, and I remember that usb1023498whatever.exe didn't work anymore on SP3. How do you do it now? cyghfer is currently using some Retrousb SNES adapter which feels like it induces a frame of lag, so I suggested overclocking it

REDUCING INPUT LAG:

I want to make a list of everything to reduce it, somehow
Not sure if all of this stuff is good, but uh

- Use parallel if you can
- Get a good monitor: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threa...database.145141
- or s-video out to CRT I guess? newer gfx cards can't do that though that I've seen
- Have a good CPU/GPU
- Disable Aero (by using Win Classic theme I'm guessing)
- Disable vsync if there's an option to do so (such as Snes9x)
- Set flip queue size (ATI)/prerendered frames to 0
- Disable speedstep in bios
- Disable turbo in bios

I dunno if some of those things help, I haven't even done most of them

--------------------
LeonMoongooner3: hi
Kryssstal: hi huh
LeonMoongooner3: is this thee krysstal?
Kryssstal: uh huh
LeonMoongooner3: youre a straight legend girl
Kryssstal: but i'm bi

"maya talks like someone perpetually participating in internet cat fights" -viv

"Anyway point is following your thought processes is not unlike trying to herd a kitten that fell into a ball pit" -ShadowWraith

"now i want ppl to know, that i see you, from over here, across the internet, turning up the corners of your lips in a smile, thinking that this is a funny statement, and i just want to say how DARE you not take this situation seriously, how DARE you treat this situation with any humor whatsoever. epitome! the perfect example! of the embarrassment, the shame of humanity. you all have got some nerve to even crack a grin whatsoever in the slightest, and none of you have the slightest shred of dignity or emotion. i am appalled and dismayed. thank you. bows" -Jadin

"well, yes, and ofc she is an intolerant narcissist girl lol" -jeanclaude

"like you can't just say 'well if you'd been in x place at y time then you'd know' as if i'm supposed to take your word for it and fucken like agree with you 'oh you're right krystal is an irredeemable sociopath and she's dexter from the hit show dexter'" -Rambly

"krystal with a relaly tiny pecker is probably peak sexiness anyway" -grass

"for the record i always imagined krystal being closer to daria than velma" -funkdoc

"nah, it's cool. you seem fine. especially for a person" -ancientscapes

"tfw biggest internet tough girl is a sub" -Based Audity

Kneel down and clean the smegma between my toes that I accrued from giving footsiejobs to someone actually deserving. :3

“There is nothing in the world that cannot be cured by love. That is the most thing.” ―Antonio Banderas

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Jul 23 2012, 02:29 AM
Post #2

I♥prat fall

they make pcmcia - parallel adapters ye

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti

+Quote Post
Buffalo
post Jul 23 2012, 10:21 AM
Post #3

The Shadow

i think the inpin is better at this point but its out of stock

http://etokki.com/iNPiN-PS2-to-PS3-Converter

superjoybox3s were never as good as the old radioshack ps2 adapters in my experience

--------------------
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

+Quote Post
cyghfer
post Jul 26 2012, 11:12 AM
Post #4

Candy Galy

since my input lag saga has finally come to a close (i'm at 1 frame or so now!),

the only things that ever actually helped with input lag in pc emulation of older consoles were 1. better monitor 2. disabling aero 3. parallel instead of USB

vsync, prerendered frames, speedstep, and turbo i don't think did anything that i could perceive. cpu/gpu prob matter if you're using stuff shitty enough, i doubt they would be a problem to the majority of pc users. output to crt probably helps but i haven't been able to conduct a proper test for this so w/e, good monitors have only half a frame of lag which is fine

--------------------
So long.

I will watch it after a dream.

+Quote Post
VaderSeven
post Sep 20 2012, 01:48 AM
Post #5

Gosu

DJ Battle This User

Just for note- You can force vsync off via gpu drivers globally so it isnt a application specific function!

--------------------
All the SetNenceS, MES$ up 1 MuS4!

+Quote Post
VaderSeven
post Sep 20 2012, 01:48 AM
Post #6

Gosu

DJ Battle This User

Just for note- You can force vsync off via gpu drivers globally so it isnt a application specific function!

--------------------
All the SetNenceS, MES$ up 1 MuS4!

+Quote Post
Tau
post Sep 25 2012, 12:39 AM
Post #7

HOW TO COOK DELICIOUS RICE AND THE EFFECT OF EATING RICE

there should surely be some ps2-to-usb adapter that the fighting game community swears by

i mean those guys get properly caremad about latency in all forms (though probably not audio latency i guess?)

--------------------
QUOTE (Junglist King @ Jan 16 2011, 03:19 PM) *
Hot and Dangerous scratching. Makes "Big." by FullMetal Tortoise look like something Gosaku would play.

+Quote Post
rmz
post Sep 27 2012, 11:33 AM
Post #8

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

I think that these days for PC play, most everyone has migrated to PS3/360 sticks that use USB natively. There still very well might be some "known best" PS2->USB converter, but my point's just that I don't think it's an overly common thing for people to do anymore.

People who play on pad still use PS2->PS3 converters for tournaments that don't allow wireless controllers (e.g. EVO), but I have no idea about if/how well those work when plugged into a PC.

+Quote Post
Buffalo
post Sep 27 2012, 01:07 PM
Post #9

The Shadow

heres another usb adapter. the japanese bms community heavily favors this but you need a guy from japan to order it for you. :/

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B5%E3%83%B3...5835173-6217006

also note that ps2-360 adapters will not work , there's lag because the converter converts directions to analog (i forget which keys are mapped to left but the turntables being mapped to up and down dont even work to my knowledge)..

just whatever you do dont buy the superjoybox pro 3

--------------------

+Quote Post
1st Samurai
post Sep 27 2012, 02:12 PM
Post #10

Rising in the Sun

DJ Battle This User

I use the sbj pro 3 and haven't had any problems. Granted maybe I'm not tuned enough to pick up on finer nuances, but all I know is that I keep clearing harder stuff and I gets the jg's plenty. Just ordered a pro 5 yesterday as well but may get one of my breddas to order me that amazon.jp gizmo if that's what the cool kids are doing.

+Quote Post
Buffalo
post Sep 27 2012, 04:05 PM
Post #11

The Shadow

thats what they all say until they try a better adapter

one time i had a bunch of casual players play on my pc setup with a parallel adapter and they could immediately tell the difference between another setup using the super joybox pro3 adapter

then again its a parallel adapter but a parallel adapter still requires drivers to do conversion work to read the ps2 pinout. i also briefly remember testing the superjoybox3 adapter with my old radioshack adapter and the old radioshack adapter won out for me. the different was especially noticable in hard songs where inputs would get delayed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DROP
post Sep 27 2012, 04:57 PM
Post #12

HEY RADIES ;)

DJ Battle This User

I use a pro 3 and do notice lag, my LR2 ends up being adjusted to like +28 ms lol. Parallel isn't an option for me and I don't know anyone in Japan that would buy the sanwa, is the pro 5 actually an improvement?

--------------------
QUOTE (Newcastle Legions @ Oct 27 2010, 06:40 AM) *
a good father doesn't play japanese games

All you DDRist's, try Trip Machine with the bass turned up!!

+Quote Post
1st Samurai
post Oct 1 2012, 11:38 AM
Post #13

Rising in the Sun

DJ Battle This User

Oh right, shit yeah I still have to adjust the lag in lr2 system options obviously, but that's a one-off task. Once it's done, you're bashing keys happy as larry. Or I am anyway. I got a parallel adapter with my dao but never really got round to setting it up; I liked the simplicity of plug-n-play.

+Quote Post
Buffalo
post Oct 1 2012, 01:45 PM
Post #14

The Shadow

a friend lent me a inpin adapter for testing purposes and i tested playing with the hdd cracks

long story short, parallel is still far superior. wrt to JG timing i felt like i was catching a ghost i could never find and i was getting ngs up the ass.

ill do more testing later but basically its like any other adapter except maybe slightly worse. wish i could get my hands on a sanwa adapter to complete this

--------------------

+Quote Post
loluralimey
post Oct 2 2012, 08:41 AM
Post #15

Tranoid

So i recently got a real edition single for a 100 bucks pretty much. BUT for some odd reason it has horrible input lag when im playing LR2 at my friends place. This is the newer dj dao board that just uses a USB to connect to the computer. Tried using the converter for the ps2 and it just made it like 100 times worse.

My friends FP7 works perfectly and its a old dao that requires both usb and ps2 to be plugged in, which is plugged in VIA converter.

Has anyone had this issue with a real edition single or newer dao controllers?

+Quote Post
Buffalo
post Oct 2 2012, 09:05 AM
Post #16

The Shadow

are the usbs overclocked?

my friend has a RE single that uses the new board i can test later when i get the chance..

--------------------

+Quote Post
loluralimey
post Oct 2 2012, 03:38 PM
Post #17

Tranoid

QUOTE (Buffalo @ Oct 2 2012, 10:05 AM) *
are the usbs overclocked?

my friend has a RE single that uses the new board i can test later when i get the chance..

Nah its not over clocked. The LR2 is running on kinda a old ass PC. Maybe the PS3 controller isnt very compatible with it or something.

+Quote Post
Buffalo
post Oct 2 2012, 07:07 PM
Post #18

The Shadow

probably should use usbmouserate to overclock it to 1000 mhz

my friend says it works fine with overclocked usbs but id rather test it out for myself and see.

--------------------

+Quote Post
guy
post Aug 23 2014, 11:32 AM
Post #19

DJ Battle This User

I briefly experimented with hooking my JKOC up to my PC using some old Joytech thing, and it drops inputs here and there. This renders it pretty much useless.

Has anybody here had any experience with the Super Joy Box 5?

Also, hi!

+Quote Post
guy
post Aug 29 2014, 06:19 AM
Post #20

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (guy @ Aug 23 2014, 05:32 PM) *
Has anybody here had any experience with the Super Joy Box 5?

Never mind, I've now seen the other thread; it sounds like the sjb5 works alright except for the input lag, which can be compensated for. I might give it a shot.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2018 - 03:04 AM